Why is it important to cast with proper technique?
The name of surfcasting comes to mean “thrown over the waves”. This translation indicates that the most important part of this modality is precisely the power that each fisherman has over the cast to make it as correct as possible, it is the action that gives name to the style. If it is done in an ideal way, it is very likely that you can have total control over the catches, although let’s not forget that casting as far as possible is not always a guarantee of getting the best specimens.
In fact, the most important objective in surfcasting fishing is to get as far as possible. If you can cast a long distance, there will be a greater chance of multiplying the number of catches, which, of course, are at a certain distance from us, keeping their backs to you. For this reason, many of the fans of this type of fishing practice in controlled areas, where they know they will find specimens, in order to master the technique.
But, of course, it is not only important to make long casts, but also to be precise. It is useless to reach a difficult area if we are not precise and locate all our rods in different places. The angler can play with the force he exerts on his rod, in fact, it is even entertaining, but in a controlled way.
Each one can make a specific type of cast, since it is up to the user to decide, but there are already techniques defined beforehand that are worth knowing. In the following section we will be able to know those that allow to make fishing casts in the more distant surfcasting.
Mastering the casting techniques requires a good dose of practice. In fact, in order to control these gestures and perform them, the recommendation is to practice them continuously. It may seem that learning them is slow, but actually the distance at which we make the casts will increase progressively with each lesson. If you dare, don’t forget to try some fishing simulators for the computer and console.
Finally, it is necessary to emphasize that there are variables that can condition our launch in a positive or negative way. These are, for example, the distance of the lead to the rod tip and the weight of the lead. Each angler will be in charge of selecting the optimal weight and distance for them according to their cast.
Surfcasting Techniques and Step-by-Step Guides
At present, there are as many casts as there are fishermen devoted to surfcasting, as each person chooses the way in which he or she wants to perform them and these are always impregnated with small or large differences. But there are three very basic casting techniques that every angler should know, at least to customize them as best suits each one of them.
We will detail, step by step, each one of them:
Traditional Overhead Casting
This is the easiest way to launch and is, therefore, the most widely used. The following tips should be followed to make the shot perfectly.
First of all, we must face the sea with the rod placed above our head. It must also be placed in a horizontal position.
We make the cast with a sudden movement and an approximate angle of 45 degrees in relation to the sea, trying to stop it in a dry way. What this will do is give more strength to the rod.
This type of cast can be done both standing and moving. Therefore, each fisherman must practice it a little and decide the way in which it is easier for him to do it.
This launch is much more elaborate and complex than the one we have seen in the previous section. It must be done correctly, since an OTG cast is intended to achieve much greater distances than are achieved, on average, with a traditional cast.
To do this correctly, it is necessary to position the rod with your back to the sea, with the rod in a horizontal position and to the right or left, depending on the hand with which you are working.
It is necessary that the lead is supported by the sand; in fact, it must be placed in the same line of the rod.
We begin by making a turn, as coordinated as possible, raising the rod upwards and then stopping it dry at an angle that is much greater than that of a traditional cast, always according to our capabilities, of course.
The route you have to make is very long and, therefore, the lead shoots up reaching an enormous speed.
The only thing required for this casting technique to be correct is that the rod is of good quality and not too soft because it is loaded enough and we could break it if it is not the most appropriate.
This technique is perhaps the most elaborate and complicated of all. But, if we manage to master it, for us the launch will be a child’s play and will lead to guaranteed success. In fact, it will be the type of throw that will allow us to achieve the greatest distances and, therefore, to be seen by a greater number of specimens that may be interested in us.
To begin to do so, we must place ourselves with our backs to the sea and with the rod in a vertical position, slightly inclined forward.
We must make the lead begin to oscillate, imitating the movement of a pendulum. This is the obvious reason why this name is given to the type of cast.
At the moment when the lead is at the end of the movement, we must make the rod rotate in coordination with the movement of our own body. This causes us to direct the lead to the area we have previously decided on.
Finally, we must stop the cane again in dry to release all the energy generated.
For this type of casting, we recommend the rods a little more rigid.
Tips to improve surfcasting
- The most important of all is that each cast should be practiced safely and using a good dose of control. Therefore, to practice, we must go to other more remote areas, where there are no people to be injured. In fact, in the case of a bad throw, you have to treat it as an accident that could end in serious consequences, being very aware of what is a mistake or a lack of concentration.
- If you want the thread to slide better when passing, you must reduce its diameter as much as possible, without forgetting the other elements that condition this thickness. If you want to slide well, you must choose a relatively thin thread.
- If you have the possibility, we recommend that the ballast or plumb bob you use is more aerodynamic, since its penetration in the air should contribute to increasing the throwing distance and the power with which it is carried out.
- Another recommendation is that, until you master the technique you decide to perform, you should replace the lead with a tennis ball.
- You should also protect the finger with which you hold the line. With such a simple gesture you can avoid cuts.
- If you have the opportunity, it is important that you go to practice accompanied by an expert, so that by observing your way of working you can correct the defects you may have before you defile the gesture.
- An ideal place is usually the plains of the most abandoned coasts. This is because people go to these places to measure their casts, without anyone else being able to control them.
- If nobody accompanies you, we recommend you to record a video, so that you can correct yourself at any time.